Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Saving Money in Restaurants

1. Use coupons, these can be found in newspapers, they also come in your Tuesday mailbox flyers.    I've used different coupons at Taco Cabana, Chick-fil-A, Red Lobster.
2.  Fill out surveys located on bottom of restaurant receipts.  Seems like your chances of getting one of these surveys on the bottom of receipts in a restaurant is greater when you pay cash.  I have gotten countless free sandwiches from Chick-fil-A, and free drinks at Sonic.  The only downside is you must fill out with in a certain amount of time or it is void.
3.  Order water, or if you must have a drink make sure it has free refills.  I have a family of 5, and 5 times $1.29 can add up fast. I once saw a man drink 5 sodas at a dinner, he had no idea the restaurant didn't offer free refills and spent $10.00 on soda, yikes!
4.  Split a meal.  I sometimes share a plate with my husband or share with my little ones.  The kids meals can add up quickly and many time they don't even touch the plate.  I usually order a side they like and they will eat that.  I even pack crackers or a snack for them.
5. Skip the appetizers and dessert.  Sometimes we fill up on the appetizers and we aren't even hungry for our main dish. These extras can add a quick $15.00 to $20.00 dollars to your bill.
6.  Seems like Tuesdays are great days to take kids to eat.  I have seen many different places that offer free kids meals on Tuesdays.  Fuddruckers is just one example. 
7. Visit a restaurant during promotions.  I recently saw Olive Garden had a great deal, I believe it was a $12.95 for two meals one to dine in and one to take home. Grandy's also has a chicken fried steak that is only offered on a certain day for a deal of a price.
8.  Order just an appetizer instead of a full meal, or order just dessert instead of a meal.  These items can sometimes be just as big or as expensive as a meal.
9.  Early birds or Happy hour times can help you save at some restaurants.  I have seen a great example of happy hour at Sonic, you can get half price drinks and different snacks for 1/2 price. Starbucks does this also on occasion.
10.  Order yourself a kids meal, I often do this.  The portion size of a kids meal is more on track with what you should be eating anyway.  Sounds crazy but its true.  Regular size meals in a restaurant is sometimes double the calorie intake we should be eating.  Your waistline and wallet will thank you.
11. Sign up for restaurant emails.  IHOP offers free breakfast on your birthday and I believe Denny's does something also.  I've also gotten free offers via email from Dairy Queen.
12.  I have also seen restaurants use Facebook as a means of offering different coupons and discounts.  Panda Express often gives a free item and posts the coupon on facebook to print and show in order to redeem.
13.  Order to go at some places can save you money.  Leo's Mexican and Terrazas restaurants has a great deal on 4 enchiladas, 4 tacos, 4gorditas, rice,beans,1/4 tostadas,1/2 salsa, 6 sopapillas, for$15.99!  I've had this many times and it is great.  Also Little Caesars Pizza, I am sure you all know about that one.
14.  Some restaurants may offer come back cards. You get a punch on your card for so much money spent.  I have only seen one at Taco Tote, and at Bahama Bucks.
15.  Groupon and Living Social deals can be great but beware that you are more tempted to purchase on item because it seems to be a limited time offer.  I have been guilty of this.  Be sure you really want to eat there and you will use the Groupon or Living Social deal within the time it permits.
16.  Some restaurants sell coupon booklets or calendars.  I have purchased these booklets at McDonald's for a $1.00, they have coupons for free ice cream, apple juice, and apples.  Taco Cabana also had them for $1.00, offered free bean burritos.  Chick-fil-A offers a calendar full of coupons and I also buy one of these every year.
17.  Eat out less often.  This sounds like a no brainer but eating out in general can take a big bite on your finances.  Let's do the math on a $30.00 meal eating out a modest twice a week for a month.  This equals $240.00 a month on dinning out.  In my household that is two in a half weeks of groceries.  I can make about 50 meals with this amount compared with 8 meals eating out.   We go out to eat maybe once a week or once every two weeks.  When we do go its a real treat and we look forward to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment